Click to Home
Go To Search
Stormwater Utility Fee
Beginning in 2012, the City of Mission Hills will implement a stormwater utility fee (SUF). The revenues from the SUF will be used for stormwater capital improvements. The City will continue to seek other funds from the County and other sources to augment the revenues from the SUF, thus enabling the City to complete even more capital projects.
  • The SUF will expire (sunset) after five years. The SUF could be extended or changed by a vote of a future City Council.
  • The revenues received from this fee will go into a separate account to be used only for stormwater capital improvements and will be separate from the City’s general account for other governmental expenses. The average fee collected will be about $400 per lot and the resulting revenues will be approximately $500,000 per year.
  • The fee for each lot in the City will be based on the amount of impervious area on the lot. This is a measurement already done by Johnson County. Impervious area means the total number of square feet of hard surface area on a given property that either prevents or retards the entry of water into the soil, or causes water to run off the surface in greater quantities or at an increased flow rate, than it would under conditions similar to those on undeveloped land. Impervious area includes but is not limited to roofs, roof extensions, terraces, patios, porches, porticos, pools, and athletic courts. For the purposes of calculating the SUF, driveways and walkways (not surrounding pools) are not included.
  • All lots will be divided into four tiers with four different fees based upon the amount of impervious surface on each lot:

Impervious Area (ft2)  SUF
Under 3,000* $250
3,000 – 3,999 $350
4,000 – 4,999 $450
5,000 and Over $550

    • *Vacant lots with no impervious surface will not have a SUF assessed.
    • Note: Non-residential property in the City will pay $550 annually.
  • Property owners have two options if they feel their impervious area, and therefore their SUF, is incorrect. Property owners may ask City Hall to recalculate their impervious area, or property owners may appeal the decision to the Board of Zoning Appeals (BZA).
If you are new to the City and would like to know the specific impervious surface information for your property, please contact City Hall.