What is door-to-door solicitation?
Door-to-door solicitation is the practice of going onto private property unannounced with the intent of selling goods or services for funds. This includes selling, offering to sell, and taking orders for goods or services.
The Basics of Door-to-Door Solicitation
According to the City’s Door-to-Door solicitation ordinance solicitors:
- May call on residence between 10:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m.
- Must obtain a permit from the City and display it while soliciting in the City.
- May not call on or approach any residence displaying a “No Solicitation”, “No Trespassing” or any other similar notice.
- May not call on or approach any residence on the City’s “No Visit” list.
- Must possess a government issued photo I.D. at all times.
What the City’s solicitation ordinance does
The ordinance contains two primary provisions. One applies to solicitors, the other applies to residents.
- Submit a Door to Door Solicitation permit application online.
- Pay a fee of $25 per application (each approved application is good for up to fourteen days).
- Pass a criminal history check.
- Display permit at all times when soliciting within the City.
- Wear photo identification at all times.
- Leave a resident’s property when directed to do so by the resident.
- Not approach any residence on the City’s “No Visit” list which is provided when the application is approved.
- Not call on any residence posted with a “No Solicitation” sticker or similar notice.
- Register their address on the City’s “No Visit” list (just fill out the form on the webpage to sign up).
- Require a solicitor to present his or her permit and photo identification.
- Obtain “No Solicitation” stickers free of charge at City Hall
- Require the solicitor to provide a receipt for any purchase exceeding $5.00.
- Contact the Police Department by dialing 9-1-1 if a solicitor comes to their door when the home is posted “No Solicitors” or the address is on the “No Visit” list. For general solicitation complaints, please call the non-emergency dispatch number at 913-642-5151.
For further information, please contact the City Hall at 913-362-9620, or firstname.lastname@example.org.